Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Boston Cream Pie

Yesterday morning I had an order for a Boston cream pie as the cake of choice for a birthday boy who is visiting from out of town.  For those who don't know, a Boston cream pie isn't really a pie, but a layer cake.  It is usually a couple of layers of a butter cake or a spongecake (yum), filled with pastry cream (double yum), and topped with a chocolate frosting or ganache (triple yum).  So if you do the math, it equals very, very good tasting.


My BCP started out with a butter cake.  It's one of my favorite recipes-- very dense and rich.  And since it was traveling to its owner I did a thicker chocolate butter frosting instead of a ganache.  (Well, technically it is a ganache since it's made from cream and chocolate... but it's a firm one.)  And on top I added a little marbled swirl of white chocolate glaze.  Voilà!  Boston Cream Pie.







No comments:

Post a Comment