Thursday, January 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Pretzel Cupcakes

Our second at bat in this week's test kitchen (and second home run) was a Peanut Butter Pretzel Cupcake.  If you are a fan of sweet and salty, which I am-- BIG TIME, you'll love this one.  This cupcake is based off of a cupcake made at a bakery I like; we didn't think up this combination of flavors.  But we were very excited to try our hand at it with our own recipes for its components.

The cake is a chocolate cake made with melted bittersweet chocolate that packs a pretty strong chocolate punch.  The frosting is our fluffy peanut butter frosting we recently invented for our Elvis cupcakes.  On top of the frosting we rolled crushed salted pretzels that give the cupcakes a great crunch and that delicious salty and sweet combination.  And because one kind of frosting is just not enough, we added a chocolate buttercream blossom and kissed it with a peanut butter chip.  Ta-da!





Even cuter than the big ones?  The minis with their little chocolate buttercream dollops!




2 comments:

  1. Where do you get all your platters, plates, and dishes, and, specifically, your "display pieces." By that I mean this orange cupcake holder, and the blue glass plates and silver holder I noticed for the mini bundt cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually all three of those don't belong to me. They are all Julie Martin's. The other things are mine-- cake stands, dishtowels, plates, etc. My things are from all over. Mainly Sur la Table, Williams-Sonoma, and Crate & Barrel, and Target. My splatter paint looking dishtowels are from Anthropologie. I don't know where Julie got her blue dishes, but I do know she got the cupcake tree (it's actually a tomato red) recently from Walmart.

    ReplyDelete