Monday, January 3, 2011

Chocolate Orange Blossom Cupcakes



I am very, very excited about these cupcakes.  Perhaps the most excited I've been about something since the Salted Peanut & Caramel Bark I made about a month ago.  Why so excited?  Because (a) they are chocolate orange cakes, (b) they have the best doggone chocolate buttercream on top, and (c) they were my guinea pig cupcakes for this blossom frosting technique, and I think they turned out pretty darn cute.


The blossom on top is an homage to my absolute favorite cupcakery, Sugar Bliss on N. Wabash in Chicago.  You need to visit if you ever have the chance.  Sugar Bliss has the tastiest and cutest cupcakes I've ever had at a cupcake-only bakery, and they frost them all with this blossom technique.  I decided to try it out myself, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.  I must say, I'm pretty pleased.  I think they look very cute.  I can't wait to do some fun colorful blossoms this spring.  


The cake itself is a chocolate orange cake.  I took a plain chocolate batter and added orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice.  It tastes rich but vibrant from the citrus-- a great combination.  The icing is a chocolate buttercream recipe I just got this weekend from my mom.  It's a Marcia Adams recipe that is so creamy and delicious.  I think this will be my new go-to chocolate frosting recipe.  (Thanks, Mom!)  On top is a little orange jelly bean to finish them off.


Overall I think these will be a very popular cupcake in my kitchen.  If you don't like chocolate, this might not be for you.  But then, if you don't like chocolate you're leading a sad life and I pity you.  But to get my mind off that I may have to have one of these.  Or two...






No comments:

Post a Comment